Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Link love

A while ago, I mentioned that I would really like to find a blog with a focus on gardening that has a format similar to a blog about design. Well, my sweet friend Kaylie sent me a link to a blog that pretty much fits the bill. And it's even written by another Okie! The blog is Aura Joon, and while her blog is most definitely not just about gardening, there are several posts about gardening under a gardening tab (and I enjoy all of her other posts). I can't really say that I learned more than a few tidbits of information about gardening, but her blog is a pleasure to read and to look at. She takes some really beautiful pictures and posts a few artsy/design things as well. In fact, one of her posts inspired me to do a little hunting and gathering on my walk with Eddie yesterday so that I wound up with this lovely, simple little arrangement.


One of these stems was from a wooded lot. Please don't ask about the other two. :)

I would definitely recommend Aura Joon's blog to pretty much everyone who checks in here (especially you, Sparky!). Her worldview is a little on the mystical side, but she always expresses a love for nature, life, and family that is truly infectious. Good times.

Through Aura Joon's blog, I found another food blog I am excited about as well, also with beautiful photos. Whole Family Fare lists simple (although occasionally time-consuming) recipes with just a few natural (not processed) ingredients. I wish I knew more about cooking this way, and I already have a few recipes picked out to try this week. I'll let you know how they go, whether you want to or not! Haha. Of course, it seems about right that the author of this blog has not posted a new recipe since I found it a couple of weeks ago, but I'm optimistic that she'll start back up again at some point. In the meantime, I can comb through the recipes she already has.

Speaking of updating you on recipes, I made the South Street Inn cookies last night. They turned out well but not as phenomenal as I remember. I think that means more tinkering is required. :) I did use a mix of wheat and regular flour, but I don't think that changed the flavor too much. And I need to get better about judging when a cookie is done. By the time they look done to me, after they cool off on the counter they are usually a tad overdone. Anyone have any tried and true methods for judging the "doneness" of a cookie?

Finally, dear friends, Lent starts tomorrow. I'm still thinking about (okay procrastinating on deciding) how to spend the 40+ days leading up to Easter contemplating the cross. One thing I am considering starting tomorrow is posting a daily prayer (under a separate tab) from Prayers of an Excellent Wife by Andrew Case. I believe there are 365 prayers, all of which are adapted from scripture. You can download the book for free here. If you would like to check in each morning and add each prayer to your prayer time for your husband, that would be lovely. Really, though, these prayers can be adapted for anyone the Lord lays on your heart--friend, family member, yourself.

While I would really like to use Lent to prepare my heart to focus on the true weight of Easter, I am also considering making a few other unrelated changes. One of them is giving up, or at least severely cutting down on, sugar. Scary, but this is really just a change that I should make for me. Because anyone who eats three bags of Cadbury mini eggs in one week might just have a *slight* problem.

And for anyone thinking about tackling Spring cleaning, I also came across this link this morning. If anyone needs/wants a little motivation and accountability in that area, this is the project for you. Five weeks, five hotspots. The first week is already underway and the hot spot is your bedroom closet. I might play along with this one too.

Think that's enough for one post? Me too. Hope something in here was useful to you!

2 comments:

J & E said...

so i tried the whole family fair raw carrot cupcakes- they are pretty good. I think some tweaking, and maybe making them not raw would make them even better. great site in general!

Lisa said...

Good to know! I tried out the squash/spinach/tofu/grain recipe a couple of nights ago. Justin thought I was trying to kill him, making him eat tofu, but he survived. I really liked the squash in the recipe, but as an overall meal...eh. I'd prefer it with pasta I think and maybe chicken or no meat at all. The tofu wasn't bad, it just didn't add much flavor.